Date: February 2021
Job Title: Communications and Digital Ministry Manager Report to: Director of World Mission and Communications
As a senior member of the ministry support team, the Communications and Digital Ministry Manager will lead the development, implementation, oversight and evaluation of both internal and external communication strategies, standards, methodologies and messaging. With specialized training and years of experience working in a communications role, the incumbent will not only possess communications expertise and an awareness of innovation opportunities, but also provide a pastoral presence and perspective to the role and engage in pastoral interactions with congregants.
Time Requirements: Full-time position which is a minimum of 37.5 hours per week. General office hours are 8:30 to 4:30 Monday to Friday, however flexible working hours will be required to meet the requirements of the position. In a ministry support position, Sunday is considered a regular work day.
Knowledge, Skill, & Abilities:
- Pastoral Perspective – Incorporate a pastoral perspective into all aspects of communication, including materials development, media methods selection. Demonstrate a pastoral presence in the development of all communications materials and methodologies which theologically aligns with Grant Memorial. This should be especially evident when communicating with Grant Memorial constituency (online or in-person).
- Interpersonal – An ability to communicate with leadership and peers regarding communication initiatives. Position requires that the individual interacts with different personalities within and outside of the organization.
- Organization & Planning – This position requires an individual to focus on and handle multiple projects under very tight and specified timeframes. Though deadlines are often established for the position by others or by organizational directives, the person in the position frequently sets deadlines for others.
- Technical Proficiency – Needs to be proficient at graphic design. Requires current and relevant knowledge of digital media platforms, influences of social media applications, and other communication.
- Project Management Skills – Ability to manage communications projects which involve multiple ministry areas and leaders.
- Administrative Skills – Understanding of organizational processes and concepts.
- Financial management – Confidence to process weekly invoices and billings and participate in the budget process annually.
- Decision Making – Must be comfortable making decisions about strategy, content, resources and expenditures and must make quick and thoughtful decisions.
- Tell stories – Intentionally shape a storytelling culture of communication across the organization by assisting in the development of ministry area strategies, providing support and mentoring ministry leaders.
Communications Materials Development
- Lead the development, implementation, oversight and ongoing evaluation of both internal and external communication strategies, standards, methodologies and messaging
- Create an effective framework for church communications and document it in a living Communication Plan that is updated as communication needs and resources change
- Conceptualize ideas and concepts with the ministry leadership team to brand sermon series and holiday events, including but not limited to layouts, logos, typography, web and print materials, etc.
- Perform the layout, editing, proofing, and publishing of written materials in a variety of physical and digital media to inform the congregation and promote the church’s ministries
- Manage the existing church brand material and ensure our branding is consistent across all ministry areas
- Ensure our use of external media is compliant with copyright and privacy law requirements.
- Assist in building basic communication capabilities by training and mentoring staff, communication resource volunteers and others in the various church ministries Digital Media Management
- Lead all efforts related to the creation, strategy, and execution of Church digital communication channels.
- Maintain weekly media uploads to all web and digital marketing channels and ensure accuracy and timeliness of all information on the website, social media and roadside signage.
- Strategically consider existing alternative digital media avenues or other tools that are not yet available.
- Provide input into best practices in media relations policy and procedures
- Provide consultation to and create guiding principles to assist ministry areas that would like to manage components of their digital media
- Ensure all communications comply with approved layouts, styles and standards and use of organizational logo or images is in accordance with established standards.
- Lead messaging and strategy for social media advertising campaigns. Design and manage church brand.
- Timely interaction with our online community through intentional messaging and comment and response management.
- Continuously improve by capturing and analyzing the appropriate social data/metrics, insights and best practices, and then acting on the information.
- Create and monitor email marketing campaigns to maintain and enhance relationships with the constituency.
- Create and maintain a media distribution list to assist in promoting church life moments and significant events.
- Create content in conjunction with ministry areas and push out all mass email communications in a professional and timely mannerWebsite Communication
- Working with leadership and ministry leaders, proactively develop strategies to clarify and communicate the church’s weekly messaging on the website.
Sunday Morning Digital Experience
- Oversee the strategy and implementation of the Sunday online digital experience
- Ensure a consistent presentation format, assisting in worship leaders and other staff in creating graphics and help in the production of weekly video announcements to promote church ministries and events. Will include announcement slides, sermon-series branding, web pages, and social media
- Experience in measurement and analysis of web traffic and social media metrics. In-depth knowledge of Google Analytics a plus.
- Post-secondary certification or diploma in marketing, communication, graphic design, or journalism.
- Post-secondary theological training and the ability to share your faith in a meaningful way.
- 3-5 years of progressively responsible experience developing and creating communication pieces and designing publications in a church or related non-profit environment.
- A solid understanding and an active presence with social media and digital media platforms as well as emerging channels;
- Strong and effective communication skills (oral and written).
- Proven track record in creating and producing digital, social and print communications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of graphic design and printing processes.
- Quick learner, creative, has significant communications experience and is self-motivated and detail-oriented under short time constraints.
- Be committed to learning new technical skills that relate to this job. Study and work to stay current and ahead of the curve on technologies for worship and church environments.
Staff at Grant Memorial Church exemplify:
- A sincere love for the Lord evidenced by lifestyle
- Regular attendance at weekly services
- Commitment to a small group
- Faithfulness in tithing
- Adherence to Doctrinal Statement of Faith, Core Beliefs & Lifestyle Commitment
Staff at Grant Memorial Church are expected to:
- Attend weekly staff prayer meetings and general staff meetings
- Be available for other areas to support the successful ministry of the school and church
- Be able to interact with others and demonstrate the values of GMC
- Be available as the opportunity arises to share faith, Bible scriptures and principles based on the Statement of Faith, Core Beliefs and Lifestyle Commitment, to pray with individuals and to actively communicate a belief in the Lord Jesus Christ
Please send the following attachments to [email protected]:
- Cover Letter
- One pastoral reference
- Please use ‘Communications & Digital Ministry Manager’ in the subject line of the email.
Interested candidates should review the Statement of Faith/Community Lifestyle Commitment that follows this employment opportunity.
Closing date: When position filled